The number of casualties from consumption of poisonous mushroom in the northern part of Panchthar has been significant recently. Five people have died and 16 others have fallen ill in the last five days from the same. Soni Manlak, Padmaya Manlak, Kabita Manlak, Mankumari Manlak of Angna VDC and 11-year-old Elija Magar of Tharpu-6 are the deceased.
Five people of Angna, five of Kurumba, three of Tharpu and three people of Yangnam are currently undergoing treatment.
Three people, who fell seriously ill after eating mushroom at Yangnam VDC-2 on Sunday night, have been referred to Dharan-based BP Koirala Memorial Hospital. They previously had their preliminary treatment at Panchthar District Hospital.
Despite villagers losing their lives due to consumption of poisonous mushroom, government and non-government organizations have not yet taken any initiatives to end this health hazard.