Nepali student dies in apartment fire in Minnesota

A 21-year-old Nepali student, Ayush Bhattarai, died in a fire at the Highland Hills apartments in Mankato, Minnesota. The fire took place on August 1, 2011.

Authorities recently released the name of the fire victim. According to reports the fire was intentionally set but no foul play is suspected and investigation still continues. The reports from Mankato Department of Public safety stated carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation as the cause of death.

Ayush came to the United States in December of 2008. He was a student at Minnesota State University.

According to the website of Association of Nepalis in Minnesota, one of Ayush’s relative is visiting Mankato to decide whether to take his body to Nepal or cremate here.

[via the Associated Press and Association of Nepalese in Minnesota]

Leave a Reply